PostHeaderIcon Second Life Selling Tip 04 of 15: Informational Notecards


Always offer a highly-detailed informational notecard for every product you sell. Always.

Even if you think you have nothing to say. Even if it will be the same notecard for every single product you sell (in which case, specify this so your customer isn't polluting their inventory with redundant notecards.)

The reason is to make it easy as possible for anyone to give you their money and often what prevents a purchase is a simple, lingering question. The notecard will (must) answer that question.
First, at the top of the notecard, state the price and permissions of the product - answer the biggest, most common question everyone has. Also state something to the effect of: "All products are sold with the same price and permissions unless noted otherwise". This way, as a shopper I will not grab all the notecards of every product if this was my main or only question. If you sell different versions (one is copy, other is transfer) - definitely say so (I always prefer copy, myself.) Also - as mentioned by Quaintly Tuqiri in a comment on the previous tip, if you're selling prefabs or another large, placable item, give the footprint. For example "10x20 (East/WestxNorth/South with the front facing south, so that I enter it by walking North.)

Give a full lot of detail about your product. Start with what it is. Yes, really: "what is it?" Even if it's just a pair of jeans. If prim-based, put the prim-count for each piece here as well - even if it is a worn item. And if it is worn and scripted (to change the size and position and such) - state so. As a conscious prim-wearer, I really don't want your laggy resizing scripts all over me as it seriously hinders teleporting and sim-crossing just for starters. You are part of the lag-problem if you do use these scripts in your products.

After the above information, go into your sales pitch. Seriously: sell me. Tell me why I should buy this product and then tell me why I should buy this product from you. If it requires rezzing permissions on a sim to use it, tell me. If it is scripted, is it LSL or Mono? How are updates handled - manually or automatically? Answer every conceivable question you can think-of.

Include your support options. No, I am not talking about refunds or exchanges, but rather how you can best be contacted and do invite me to contact you for any reason whatsoever, even just to say hello! Be cordial, friendly, approachable. Most people won't bother you at all. But, as pre-sale information it is comforting to know I can approach you for the simplest of things.

If your product comes with any kind of instruction notecard: include it with (or embedded inside) the informational notecard! I cannot stress this hard enough. There are countless times I have sent an offline IM to a creator to ask a simple question before purchase - I continue shopping as I wait for a reply - I end-up purchasing a competing product because that creator answered my question first (very often in the pre-sale information that included the instructions on how to use it). Remember that most of your potential customers are hunters. If I eventually get a reply from the first creator, I don't bother telling them I already have purchased their competitor's product. Ouch for them.

I am a hunter.
I am impatient.
I want it now. 

Oh, and this seems to happen often with high-ticket items in the L$5000 or more range. Set your IM's to go to email. If you get one - reply to that email immediately (and delete the quoted text) - even if you are offline. Give that customer-service.

Also - XStreet SL allows you to upload multiple images of the same product. Do this in-world, too. Embed the same multiple images into the notecard (remember: 256x256 pixels for fast rezzing) and ensure they are good pictures.

By eliminating all anticipated questions I might have, and enticing me with more pretty pictures - even a demo version - you are making it easy as possible for me to give you my money!

**********
Want the whole kaboodle? There is far more detail in the 'how' and 'why' in my book: Successful Business in Second Life (SBSL - Second Edition for 2009/10; 270-pages) is available at XStreet SL. The book includes both, an in-world and eReader version. There also is an  Amazon Kindle version, (you receive both: ereader and in-world versions no matter where you purchase it.)

Also, when it comes to your informational notecard: duplicate all that information on the "Street"!
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blackthorne™ ≠ inSL

Search This Blog

SL Grid Status

Mundane History