PostHeaderIcon Second Life: Why 'Copybot' Shouldn't Matter

UFO Response team[UPDATE: Cryolife is easily detectable. However, I have discovered one way to detect at least one of the others, possibly more - details in my next post to this blog. —Ari]

Copybot has been around since 2006. And now, there are grid viewers with the same capability built-in and there are those who are going absolutely nuts with paranoia. At large are Cryolife, Thuglyfe, Streetlife, Neillife, please Get-a-life.

Sure, I could easily link to each and every one of those I've just listed. But then I'd get flamed for "accessibility to the masses" and all that nonsense. In truth they are quite easy to find and all are free (so if you pay for any of these, you are a lot more gullible than you should be.) As for the "copybot capability" of these grid viewers, why is no one screaming in shrill tones about Meerkat viewer - actually highlighted on New World Notes - among the most-read blogs about Second Life?

The fact of the matter is this stuff (ripping textures and prims) is not stoppable and there is nothing Linden Lab or you can do about it because it happens after the scene is downloaded to the local computer. Think of the technology as a "cache sifter and extractor" because that's basically what it's doing (for descriptive purposes anyway.) If you can see it or hear it, you can steal it. So why is everyone so paranoid about this stuff?

The answer is simple: people are taking Second Life and their "work" in it far too seriously.

I have a real and genuine proposition for you...

I want you to work for me.

No, really. Work for me - here, in real life. No worries about grid stability or your internet connection dying out on you or any of those other things. I want to hire you to landscape my home in first life (a.k.a. "real" life) and I will pay you to do it. In fact, the best part is that you have full reign, you can be as creative as you want. Do anything and everything. Whatever your heart desires, there is absolutely no limits whatsoever.

You also can sell anything and everything you create for my garden. I won't interfere in any way, shape or form. I want you to have as much fun as you can with it and maybe even make additional money on-top of what I pay you! I swear to you it's a dream-come-true!

Set your own hours, be your own boss and do anything and everything you want.

However, there are a couple of caveats:

First, you must agree to the contract between us. Well, it's really more of an agreement that you will obey my rules while on my property. You must be nice to everyone who comes by, specifically, other guests to my property.

Oh, and though you can do anything your heart desires with no limits whatsoever, you must pay me rent to use the land in my property - you choose the section and size and I'll adjust the rent appropriately. Whatever you do in that space is all you - go for it and have a ball!

Oh, and if you do make some amazing statues or grow stunning flowers and sell them to other people, I want a cut. And by the way, you must provide your own tools, whether you buy them from someone else or create them yourself, all you get is an empty, plain chunk of ground.

I forgot to mention that because of decency laws in my neighborhood, if you intend to allow nudity or any 'naughty-naughty-wink-wink' kind of stuff, you'll have to choose a chunk of my land that's in the back-yard. You know, behind the house so people on the street won't be offended.

One Eighty-Nine of Three Sixty-FiveOh, and did I mention that all transactions will be handled with Monopoly money? This is better because I can easily print my own whenever I need it and they are easy to trade. You know, like a token. And because it kind of resembles money it makes for a good enumeration to account for your earnings. Oh, and I do mean all transactions. So if you sell your hard work, the buyer must obtain Monopoly money from me so they can buy from you.

Oh, but have no fear! You can make a real life living working for me! I swear it! If you make really really pretty flowers and garden decorations a lot of people will want to buy them! You'll make more Monopoly money than you can imagine. really! No shit! Unfortunately some folks might steal some of your flowers, but don;t worry about that. I'll let you advertise your stuff in my searchable newsletter. Those thieves wouldn't have purchased your stuff anyway.

But back to what I was saying... Whenever you want, I'll actually trade you your Monopoly money for real life legal tender money. Seriously, it's a great deal! You can make your living by working for me.

All you have to do to get started is agree to my rules and then come to my house.

I know, I know, the rules are all there to protect me and all of them more or less work against you, but hey - it's my house, right? You are the guest who comes to visit and work.

Oh, and I know that I exchange the Monopoly money for real money, but I should point out that part in my rules about that... just ignore it. It doesn't mean anything, really. I mean, I'm exchanging Monopoly money for real money right now, aren't I?

Remove that part of my rules? Why, whatever do you mean?

Oh, I'll do it eventually. You know, when ever I get around to it. It's kinda low on the priority list right now. But it's okay, just ignore it because I'm not enforcing it at all for the time being. Which part of my rules am I talking about? Haven't you read and understood my rules before you started working for me?

Why parts 1.4 and 1.5 of course:
1.4 ARI BLACKTHORNE REAL LIFE "currency" is a limited license right available for purchase or free distribution at ARI BLACKTHORNE's discretion, and is not redeemable for monetary value from ARI BLACKTHORNE.

You acknowledge that the Service presently includes a component of in-world fictional currency ("Currency" or "BLACKTHORNE Dollars" or "B$" or "BS" or "BULLSHIT" or "BULLSHIT SYSTEM"), which constitutes a limited license right to use a feature of HIS product when, as, and if allowed by ARI BLACKTHORNE. ARI BLACKTHORNE may charge fees for the right to use BULLSHIT Dollars, or may distribute BULLSHIT Dollars without charge, in HIS sole discretion. Regardless of terminology used, BULLSHIT Dollars represent a limited license right governed solely under the terms of this Agreement, and are not redeemable for any sum of money or monetary value from ARI BLACKTHORNE at any time. You agree that ARI BLACKTHORNE has the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate such Currency as HE sees fit in HIS sole discretion, in any general or specific case, and that ARI BLACKTHORNE will have no liability to you based on HIS exercise of such right.

1.5 ARI BLACKTHORNE offers an exchange, called F-YOU-X, for the trading of BULLSHIT Dollars, which uses the terms "buy" and "sell" to indicate the transfer of license rights to use BULLSHIT Dollars. Use and regulation of F-YOU-X is at ARI BLACKTHORNE's sole discretion.

We'll skip the details here for brevity. But suffice it to say that you are allowed to trade my Monopoly money from one person to another, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that I will give you any real life legal tender in exchange for it.

Oh, here's another important part of chapter 1.5:
You agree and acknowledge that ARI BLACKTHORNE may deny any sell order or buy order individually or with respect to general volume or price limitations set by ARI BLACKTHORNE for any reason. ARI BLACKTHORNE may limit sellers or buyers to any group of users at any time. ARI BLACKTHORNE may halt, suspend, discontinue, or reverse any Currency Exchange transaction (whether proposed, pending or past) in cases of actual or suspected fraud, violations of other laws or regulations, or deliberate disruptions to or interference with the Service.

There. Understand it now? Oh, I won't bother to pay your taxes for you either. So you'd better stay on top of that or the bad guys might slap you with some serious shi...er... stuff.

But please, don't let this stop you!

I mean, even though you have absolutely zero rights at all whatsoever morally, contractually or even legally and are at my complete mercy in all things, don't you think this is a great opportunity to make a lot of money - and even stake your very livlihood and living on it?!!

C'mon! It's a perfect business plan! Why, any bank in the world would be fools not to back you up!

I mean sheesh... if you don't think it's such a great deal you could always go off and look at the competition.

fuck you 666I hear Linden Lab has a damned similar offer , you know. But their rules are worse, because it's a computer game, not real life like the offer I'm making to you. And besides, you are at the mercy of your ISP and your very computer not crashing and dying on you and your electrical power going out and a whole host of other stuff completely out of your control.

No one in their right effing mind would dare think to actually try to make a living in that Second Life place with that Linden Lab terms of service. That person would well do better having a gaping hole drilled into their head.

I mean, Second Life is just for fun, right? I mean, because people do actually know better than to feel entitled there, right?

art: Rose (Dinarzad); JCLPAT; Bob (Break.Things)
blog comments powered by Disqus