PostHeaderIcon Say Hello to "A Little House On The Prairie"

"M" releases his letter to the residents of Second Life regarding the whole Openspace issue.

Congratulations for see it my way. Yes, I am not the only person who saw it this way, there are many others. I say 'my way' only because I have previously blogged about this and suggested what Linden Lab if choosing to offer: a "tween" Openspace product that will be called Homesteads.
A Letter to Second Life Residents « Official Second Life Blog: "2. If you want more than an Openspace, we will offer you the choice of moving to a new product called Homesteads that is intended for light use such as low density rentals. For existing Openspace owners we will phase in the price increase for this new product over the next 6 months. Homesteads will also have technical limits for avatars and prims, and eventually script limits as well."

This post is also cross-posted to Common Sensible.

I have said time and again, the Lindens are just trying to run a business. A subscription-based one at that.

Was the original announcement by Jack Linden designed to piss everyone off, just so that this announcement would sound sweeter than it is? I don't thinks so.

I genuinely believe the outcry has caused Linden Lab to reevaluate their options and the one they have come up with is most amicable and fair.
"* January 5, 2009 – non-compliant Openspaces will transition to Homesteads and the maintenance fees will go from $75 to $95 per month. We will offer an educational discount to qualified educators on the new Homestead product. The discount amount will be the same as Private Regions, roughly 30%.

"* July 2009 — the maintenance fees for Homesteads will go from $95 to $125 per month

"For detailed information on these changes, please go to the Knowledge Base."

I agree those that use Openspace sims the way Linden Lab originally intended shouldn't have to pay the price-hike. I myself have said I am willing to pay a higher price point, but one that is fair based oon the way I use my own Openspace sim, which I would describe as "light residential" - practically the exact purpose of this new product called "Homesteads".

Now, I have myself been to some Openspace sims where the only way I could tell it was an Openspace sim was the hud I wear - that warns me I am on an Openspace sim and so a lot of my scripts and avatar appearance might get screwed-up (and it does).

The thing is - those sims are slammed with prims and scripts and by sight alone: look like full sims, but when you go onto it: you die in lag - even if there is not another should on it or any of the adjoining sims.

Thank you for what I feel is an amicable and completely acceptable solution, Linden Lab.
courtesy of Official Second Life Blog
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blackthorne™ ≠ inSL

Search This Blog

SL Grid Status

Mundane History