PostHeaderIcon Sometimes Owning a Second Life Sim...Sucks.

Cool BuildsNo, this isn't about the Openspace sim controversy. It's about just plain owning sims at all. Any sim. Full sim, Openspace sim. Mainland sim, anything, whatever else there is.

I guess, I should clarify and say "leasing" a sim. Well, when you own a "region" you aren't even leasing it. It's not even really "hosting" the way some people put it, because Linden Lab aren't hosting our creations.

Well, they are, but even though the creations are ours, they are stuck within Second Life, so... they really aren't ours, are they? Only the creative design.

Things that make you go 'hmmmm.'

Okay, so there is a whole industry related to sim... well, region ownership. I shouldn't say "sim" because it's one region to a "CPU" - but four CPUs to a server, so it's really just a quarter of a "sim", isn't it?

So there is a complete industry that has grown-up around region ownership. And the "sucky" part of owning a region and really shone a light on this industry for me.

Okay, before I really confuse the hell out of you, including myself, I'll start-over... this way:

I own three regions. Two full sims and one Openspace (a.k.a. 'void') sim. The first I've had for a year. It was always a residential/commercial sim and I sold parcels on it. The old "buy land from me here on a clean, class 5 sim instead of the laggy, ugly mainland" model.

It went well for a long time... until real world gasoline prices started to skyrocket and RL discretional funds for a lot of people started drying-up. Then Linden Lab started selling these 'void' sims and the bottom of whatever virtual real estate market that was left...completely fell out. But, that's all beside the point I want to make here.

In this process, I also started a themed role playing sim. That's the second full sim I own. It has a market and the role players know they need to help raise the tier each month. That means traffic so the merchants will want to be there, and their market leases help pay the sim tier. A simple model, really.

Eventually, there were some who wanted to add a void sim, so we could have more space. It was added and thus, now I own and manage and am responsible for: three sims and their tiers.

Linden Lab announces the rise in tiers for the void. I don't care, I'll abandon it in the blink of an eye because I really don't care about it. The residential/commericial sim I would hate to lose, but I would dump that one, too if it came down to it and only stick with the themed sim. When I say 'dump' I mean abandon. I might give a go at selling it or even giving it away for the transfer cost, but I won't bat an eye at just abandoning it. And I've already checked the knowledge on the process for doing that. It's not very difficult at all.

So, the role playing traffic (bodies on the sim, not the traffic measurement) has been waning lately. Well, at least during the hours I'm there. Apparently it is popular with a lot of Euros who are there late aat night and early in the morning when I'm not there. However, for those other times, it's not much fun to go to a themed role play sim and there is no one there to role play against you.

So I start shopping for event tools to set-up events and a treasure-hunt that will work off the role play in the hope to get more bodies appearing during these lull-times. And this is where I discover this huge industry. It's amazing, the amount of gadgets targeted at sim-owners. A lot of which are either useless or way over-priced.

Gawd I hate shopping SL Exchange and OnRez if only for the really crappy way people advertise their stuff. Not enough (or zero) information. No SLURLS to visit in-world and so on.

A huge chunk of the selection has a lot to do with camping and traffic measurements. Wow. Wow as in: figures.

But what I really wanted to say is this: owning a sim is actually a lot of work! I am often out of role-play character to handle sim issues and management - read market (merchant) support and drama. I rarely have time to role play the very theme I have set my sim up to support. I rarely get to goof-off and just sim-hop or otherwise explore Second Life as I always am on my sims either trying to manage them or support the role play. Second Life isn't as much fun anymore. At least, not the carefree, happy-go-lucky frivolous kind of fun I remember so fondly.

It's one of the reasons I like to read Torley's blog a lot. It cheers me up and reminds me it's okay to just have stupid fun sometimes.

Like...just switching into my dragon avatar and fly around wowing newbies, or crashing parties, or just plain old sight-seeing and exploring.

Yes, there are many other uses for sims, so owning a sim doesn't always suck. But if you run a themed sim, there are a lot of stresses that go with it, not the least of which is 'drama' from 'resident citizens' and 'tier fear' is always on your mind.

I know, I know... "why did you buy one then?" Perhaps it's that whole 'grass is greener' thing. We all kind of dream what we would do with a sim if we owned one, right? At least a little?

So, I really wish Tateru Nino at Massively ran polls sometimes. She has millions of readers compared to my five. Even though I rarely ever almost never run polls, I feel this would be a good one simply because "private regions" are in the news and on everyone's minds.

Now, in my poll - it doesn't matter what kind of sim - all are the same. A full "region". So the poll options are straight forward and simple.
  • You own a sim and it sometimes sucks to own it?
  • You own a sim and it never sucks to own it?
  • You do not own a sim, but would like to
  • You don't own a sim and have no interest to do so
I'm curious to what you think.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Blackthorne™ ≠ inSL

Search This Blog

SL Grid Status

Mundane History