PostHeaderIcon Socially Mundane Turns Commonly Sensible

SunsetI have been a bad writer, writing a bad blog for almost a year now. Well, two blogs: This and 'Common Sensible".

I remember researching the blog services and I am fully feature-knowledgable about WordPress software, WordPress.com, Blogger, TypePad, LifeJournal, and a truckload of others.

This blog: Socially Mundane is currently hosted on Google's Blogger.com and Common Sensible was (until this morning) hosted on WordPress.com

I also maintain and host my own copies of WordPress blogging software for the company I work for. It can be some real maintenance. Constant updates to plug-ins and the WordPress software itself, trouble-shooting and proving education and customer support for the users... but the features are second to none.

I don't go with TypePad or LiveJournal or any of the pay sites because I wouldn't even dare hope to try to make any money at this. How many ads would generate revenue when I have only five readers?

Anyway, the one single thing I hate about WordPress.com is the inability to fully customize the look of my blog. I do it for my own entertainment, hence the option to go wit a free-hosted service.

Even if I pay the $15 a year to have access to the CSS file - to change most of the look, I don't have access to the XHTML file. And that's what bothers me.

I'm a tinkerer. I like to break things and then fix them again.

So, between my two active, (I have dozens of,) blogs, I find I enjoy playing with Socially Mundane more. After a few months of looking at it all, I've come to realize a few things: it's easier for me to go hog-wild on the look. I already have other Google accounts - mail, Google Apps and so on.

It's just easier.

For me.

Blogger is way better than WordPress, but WordPress is way better than Blogger. They all are awesome. I just need to go with the one that is the mostest awesomenest for me. And I want a cleaner, classier, easier-to-read look, too.

The problem with all this is... I like the Common Sensible domain name better. "Socially Mundane" was an impulse buy. Hell, I have the domain for the next 10-years! Anyway - long-story-made-short: Moving 'Common Sensible" to Blogger. And will merge this blog, Socially Mundane into that one. Then, it's just one blog with more frequent posts.

I have been tweaking my 'theme' for the last week. I'm happy with it. It has whiz-bang features I like and I would say it has moxie and style, but four of my five readers will likely just call it "foo-foo-fluffy" and 'unbecoming' of such a jerk as myself.

But that's the draw, isn't it? In the movies, when they play classical music during a bloody combat scene, they call it "contrast". So, that's what I am doing. I am adding 'contrast'.

I have been slowly reposting everything from the WordPress version of Common Sensible to the new Common Sensible on Blogger. I also will be grabbing the previous posts that were made only here, to there as well. Same post dates, just a big old consolidation.

This blog will remain.

So, as I continue to repost old stories to the new Blogger version of Common Sensible, I will intentionally repost one old story as new - though it will clearly state it is a year-old story.

That story is called "If you get to know me, then you'll know me."

It's probably among the few stories where I think I actually did good. I certainly am not a professional writer and I can get pretty darned passionate about things. Though I always try to apply common sense into my perspective, hence the blog title I love. But I really am proud of that one. Probably because it hits close to home.

So, if you are reading this blog via newsfeeds (RSS) - you will want to pop-over to the new location and re-subscribe. I use FeedBurner and have even added an email subscription in case any of you might prefer that.

This is the last post here. all new posts will be over there at the official address: http://commonsensible.net.

So, hopefully my writing will get better and more interesting the second year in and I might make the leap from five readers to...six!.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blackthorne™ ≠ inSL

Search This Blog

SL Grid Status

Mundane History