PostHeaderIcon Rivers Rock Alt Accounts: Good Riddance?

SunsetSo, there are those who try to make real money within Linden Lab's Second Life. Fool. buffoon, Foolish, dullard, simpleton, clod...

I could go on. But I won't. Anyone who follows this blog at all already knows how I feel about these kind of people. They are risk-takers who probably shouldn't be. They see the rainbow and then chase it, trying to reach the alleged pot of gold at the end of it.

But instead, they find reality.

River Ely sez: "Today I closed several accounts. I did not abandon them, I transferred the Linden Dollars to my sub account and then selected each in turn for closure.

"The inventory is mostly no transfer, so nothing gets to be kept these days, and without another ‘Second Life’ to use them in, they are so much wasted funds. I have closed just nine accounts, some seven hundred US Dollars and a total of six quarterly closed accounts saving me on renewal fees.

"The dollar value lost today to me is about a thousand dollars in inventory losses."


Umm... are you whining? I certainly hope not. This is you acting on a stupid decision. All of us make stupid decisions all the time. The difference is the smart ones don't act on them in knee-jerk reaction.

To be fair - I am not directing the above comments to River specifically. She is just the example who represents thousands of others, if not more Second Life users.

Please understand, I really do feel for River's chagrin and wish her the best in future endeavors. Unfortunately, the land business in second Life right now is all but bust. I don't know if River and company were in the land business, but an in-world search for anything and everything makes it appear that way.

In gheneral terms, the more openspace sims that close, the more so-called 'big business' that close, the more accounts that are closed...the better. It's a good riddance for the rest of us who choose to stay, content and happy as long as we can at least get the game to pay for itself. Not to mention less 'business' competition. And no, it's not fewer shoppers because all those people were the same real life person making the purchasing decisions.

Now, directed to River: friend, you had not considered that spending so much money throughout multiple accounts might be throwing all that money away when eventually (as for anyone) you consolidate those accounts?

I have a few accounts. Two are group-management bots (one replaced the other because I liked the last name better.) That one also serves as my bank. And there are a couple for testing purposes. None of them have any inventory or Linden Dollars in their accounts. They are alts intended to be just that: alts. Anything they have in inventory is specifically transferrable. I check that before purchase.

Besides, the only reason to have alts you actually spend money on with fancy inventory and the like... is to create an entirely new persona, new friends, new relationships, new... or I should say alternate everything. How fair is that to everyone anyway?

Again, to be fair, in River's case, they don't appear to be 'secret alts', either - I am speaking generally here.

In the end, this post is again about how people actually invest a lot of real money and actually hope to make a return on it. I know, "Second Life" isn't a "game".

Well, in the strictest definition, that's true. But it is a game. In a likewise definition that "life is a game".

River, I genuinely wish for you the best and happy times ahead. Like all of us, now you know better and what to expect.

via Rivers Rock
blog comments powered by Disqus

Blackthorne™ ≠ inSL

Search This Blog

SL Grid Status

Mundane History